As part of my aforementioned summer independent study of Latin, I'm doing some composition. If anyone wants to try their hand at it, too, post your translation of the following English sentences. Or, for an easier task, just tell me what is lacking in my translations. :) Warning: they're all about Caesar.
1) With his friends brought together, Caesar sets out to support the candidacy of Antony.
2) Hirtius wrote the Gallic War, although Caesar won all the battles.
3) When these events were heard of, Caesar spoke to the citizens of Rome.
4) Although his father disapproved, the younger son decided to become one of Pompey's soldiers.
5) Since many citizens had gathered in the forum, the consul began to make a speech.
6) By waging war in Gaul Caesar increased his reputation.
7) Caesar left Gaul in order to conduct elections in Rome.
8) The ancient writers tell us that Caesar was a man greatly to be admired and greatly to be feared.
9) Since numerous reports had to be read by Curio, Caesar dispatched messengers to Rome that very day.
10) Certain friends of Caesar were at hand to defend his position.
11) There was no doubt about the loyalty of any friend.
12) Caesar took away one legion from one general, another from a second general.
1) Amici collatis, Caesar petitionem Antoni alere proficiscitur.
2) Hirtius Bellum Gallicum scripsit, Caesare proelia vincento.
3) Illis eventibus auditis, Caesar civibus Romae locutus est.
4) Patre reprehendento, minor filius militem Pompeiorum factus esse decrevit.
5) Multis civibus congregatis in foro, consul sermonem coepit.
6) Bello gerendo Caesar famam aluit.
7) Caesar ad electiones ducendas Romae Gallo discessit.
8) Auctores antiquui nos dicunt Caesarem fuisse magis diligendum timendumque.
9) Cum multae narrationes Curioni legendae fuissent, ipso die Caesar nuntios Romam misit.
10) Quidam amici Caesaris ad manum erant ut statum defenderent (or ad statum defendendum).
11) Dubitatio de fiducia ullius amici non erat.
12) Caesar legionem ab duce, alterum ab secundo dulce sustulit.
|comments: Leave a comment|